Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Potty Training

Wow, potty training is a total bitch. We've bought big boy undies, mini M&M's for when he does go, prizes for the prize bucket for any trips to the potty that aren't nagged out of him (see below):

Me: Do you have to go?
Lex: (barely looks up from whatever inane thing he's doing) No.
Me: Are you sure?
Lex: Yes.
Me: I'll give you two M&M's if you go
Lex: Ok! I want candy.
Me: *slaps forehead*

We had to change out of Mac underwear and black Lightning McQueen (well, not an African-American...never mind...) undies, and one time he made it to the bathroom, but couldn't pull his drawers down fast enough. So, I reminded him that he was to either go without me or tell me he needs to go to the bathroom. And when he doesn't, and he pees in his undies, we have to go ALLLLLLL the way upstairs to get a new pair and put the old pair in the washing machine.

He loved the M&M's, and I don't feel too terribly guilty since he's only getting 2 at a time (which is the equivalent of 1/2 of a regular M&M). It seemed to work because in the past he's always 'half-ass' peed, which is him sort of going and cutting it off mid-stream when I know damn good and well he's not done peeing. He just doesn't want to waste anymore of his time.

So, I'm hoping that this will be the turning point. I don't want to rush him or pressure him, but I know that if we keep up with good habits, it will click for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment