Thursday, December 2, 2010

So. Sick.

Poor Lex. My wee man started vomiting last night around 6:30p (right on my best friend, Melanie, mind you), and vomited all night until around 2a. Around 12:30a, it was no longer something I had to clean up because he'd officially hit every vomiting person's worst nightmare: the dry heaves. He literally dry heaved every half an hour for an hour and a half.

At 6a when my husband got up, Lex decided HE wanted up (fuck!) and to go downstairs. I let Dennis take him downstairs so I could try to get another half an hour of sleep to add to the, maybe, two hours I got total last night. So, at some point I heard, "KIMBERLY!!!!!" and I knew he'd thrown up again. *sigh* I'm not sure how much water my husband gave him, but apparently it ended up all over Lex and the floor. So, I waited another hour, and started him on tablespoons of water to see if he could keep them down. He's had 2 tablespoons of water so far, and he's keeping it down thus far. In fact, he's been poking around the fridge and pantry looking for something to eat. I hate telling him that we need to wait, but I don't want to clean something up if he's not feeling really well.

I will say one thing. Having an infant or baby sick is awful. It's the worst feeling in the world. But having a sick toddler/preschooler is a little more manageable. You can watch their little faces change. Lex will say, "Mommy" in such a way that I know it's coming (or his activity level drops SIGNIFICANTLY. So, at least now, I can predict when he might throw up. I had no chance when he was a baby. Sure, he kind of whined, but nothing like he does now...

So, today, I get to spend the day with my sick little dude, who is contentedly sitting next to me on the couch watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. It looks like it will be a good day. Sick or not.


  1. I had a little warning, thanks to you. When Will just whined and grumped at the breakfast table this morning, I said to Matt, "You know, my friend Kimberly's kid was up puking all night." And then an hour later, when I heard from the bathroom those wretched sounds of PUUUUUUKE!!!!!, I was not happy by any means, but also not surprised, at least.

  2. Poor Willow and Lex. If it's any consolation, he seems completely fine when I left for work around 1:30p. He actually asked to take a nap, which I would have loved to have had today too. Ah, the joys of parenthood!