Saturday, October 2, 2010

Dear John letter

So, unbeknownst to my weekend employer, today will be my last day. There's a formal letter in my bag with 2 keys taped to it. With this new job at IU comes FAR more responsibility and an almost $4 an hour raise, so my need for this position is waning. And the simple fact of the matter is, I'm EXHAUSTED at the end of the week now. I'm barely able to make it until 11p now on Fridays, as it is, and the prospect of sitting in virtual dark using a Mac with the brightness tuned way up too high, and the screen less than 12in from my face is becoming less of a necessity and more of a pain in my ass. There were two things keeping me here: my money grubbing ways and my friend Nathen. After we talked last week, I thought that I might be able to hack it out until Christmas, but this morning I just figured I was FED UP. Actually, I was fed up the day my employer vomited in the trashcan behind me while I worked, and then left it there to tell me she'd 'clean it up' when she was done doing what she was doing, but that's neither here nor there. Everything I need to do, personally, practically needs done on the weekends, and now that I'm starting to get into running 5ks that just so happen to land on Saturdays as well, I just figured it's not worth the time and effort, and it's not worth the $50 or so I'm getting out of it. Plus, after taking Lex to the library last week on Saturday morning, I just figured I was missing out on some good times with him.

I'm definitely going to miss the people I work with here; they've been wonderful, interesting, and entertaining...but it's time to move on, and let someone else take my place. I need to spend time with my son and my husband. I need to sleep in, stay in my PJs, go to the farmer's market, take Lex to the library, and a multitude of other things that I want/need to do.

So, adios, weekend job. You saved our asses from poverty for about a year, and for that I'm grateful...but yeah. You and me? We're breaking up. It's not me; it's you.

No comments:

Post a Comment